Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Golden Nuggets #11: B.J. Thomas-Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head


Image result for bj thomas - raindrops keep fallin on my head

Hello all. Back to my perpetually late self in delivering this, the eleventh installment of the Golden Nuggets series, where I take a look at the top song from the Billboard charts on or around the 50th anniversary or achieving the position. Then I'll share my thoughts on the track and reflect on the listening habits of the America of yesteryear. In this installment, we'll be taking a look at 'Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head' by B.J. Thomas. You can listen to the track here to acquaint yourself. Ready? Great. Here we go.

I have actually been listening to this song for a long time, and I actually really enjoy it. It's kind of one of those songs that has some bittersweet kind of tone, but the lyrics are all about overcoming the tough times and being happy. It's definitely something I like knowing exists, and I wish I were better at having that kind of attitude. What I didn't know is that this song was written by Burt Bacharach for the Butvh Cassidy and the Sundance Kid film, and B.J. Thomas wasn't the first choice (thankfully, the first choice, Ray Stevens, either turned it down or was unavailable, since I would hate to see what he would have done to it. An installment on 'Everything is Beautiful' is unfortunately coming sooner rather than later). 

I really like what B.J. Thomas brings to the table. He was a pretty popular singer songwriter type who had some pretty popular hits during the late 60s/ early 70s (he actually did the first version of 'Hooked on a Feeling') before going into rehab for drug abuse and finding Jesus. He mostly did religious music after that. I feel like his voice really taps into the hopeful yet slightly melancholic tone of the song, and I really love this rendition. Whenever I'm feeling down, I like to play it, and sometimes that hopeful outlook is enough to pull me out of the bad mood I'm in.

Stop in again soon for the next installment where I'll be touching on 'I Want You Back' by the Jackson Five.


"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

No comments:

Post a Comment