Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Albums in My Life: 2011

In 2011, I would turn 21 near the end of the year. But before that, I would endure a pretty dark year, and come through on the other side a pretty changed person. Also, about a month before I turned 21, I would meet the girl who I have now been dating for almost 8 years now. The year leading up to that meeting was quite a doozy.



Image result for arctic monkeys suck it and seeArctic Monkeys- Suck it and See
I worked at a summer camp for 6 years, and during the summer, I would be pretty cut off from the world. In that isolation, I would travel outside every other week or so and find out some of the things I had missed. For the summer of 2011, I had three albums in my CD player throughout the majority of the camping season. This was one of them. A lot of people don't like this record, but this to me was really the last Arctic Monkeys album I fully enjoyed. It's kind of a hodge podge record, but I enjoy all the different styles, and I think they still have their identity here, before part of it was polished off to try to grab the American mainstream ear.



Image result for decemberists king is deadThe Decemberists- The King is Dead
Following The Hazards of Love, this record is a lot more straight forward and boiled down to its most basic elements. The songwriting is a lot more direct here, and its more a collection of songs than the narrative former record. I like this record a lot, and I was glad to see the band get a lot more exposure based on this record. I've definitely heard 'Down by the Water' and maybe a few other tracks on various radios or store loudspeakers over the years and I like it when bands I enjoy become more successful without having to play the game.




Image result for fleet foxes helplessness bluesFleet Foxes- Helplessness Blues
This album really changed my life, and was in constant rotation during my summer camp season. It's got a really post grad blues/ quarter life crisis feel about it, which was definitely happening to me, as I had just finished my junior year of college when this came out, and had no idea where my life should go. I still really don't, but it was definitely comforting to know I wasn't the only one. This really upped the ante from their debut, and I think it's Fleet Foxes best record. It's got a bit of a hopeful tone, but it's a pretty dark record, and the unexpected left turn of 'The Shrine/ An Argument' was one of my favorite musical moments of 2011.


Image result for my morning jacket circuitalMy Morning Jacket- Circuital
The last of my 3 summer camp records. I had been looking forward to this album a lot before it dropped, and had listened to all the teaser tracks, a practice I now religiously avoid (I'd rather listen to he lump sum with everything in context. No need to spoil the album.) This was a little bit less eclectic than Z or Evil Urges, but I think it highlighted My Morning Jacket's strengths really well, and has a lot of replay value for me. I saw them play a decent amount of this live when they were touring The Waterfall, and they really open up some of this stuff to jam.


Tyler, the Creator- Goblin
Image result for tyler the creator goblin
Tyler, the Creator has really changed a lot since his days of eating cockroaches, hasn't he? This album was super shocking to people back in 2011, and the content is super dark and disgusting. I honestly don't think that this album could survive the backlash it would receive it were dropped in 2019. I loved how nihilistic and confrontational this album (along with the majority of Odd Future's catalog) was, and I'm sure if I listened back to it, it might not hold up super well, but in 2011, with me in a pretty angry and not great place, it spoke to me. Tyler Okonma and I are around the same age, so I think we were going through some of the same struggles concurrently, and I think that really speaks to this albums appeal for me.




So, that was the music of 2011 in a nutshell for me personally. Stay tuned for the albums in my life of 2012, and also keep your eyes peeled for some new features in development.


"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

No comments:

Post a Comment