Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Albums in My Life: 2006

2006 was over a decade ago, but sometimes it feels like it was just yesterday. I was sixteen, in high school, and just starting to come into my own.


Image result for alright stillLily Allen- Alright, Still
I have always loved Lily Allen's approach to a pop song. She always had a wit about her that you don't get from a lot of other pop stars. I also liked her blend of pop, ska, and hip hop influences. There's also not a single weak song on the album. From 'Smile' to the bonus 'Nan, You're a Window Shopper', it's all quality. It's kind of unfortunate that she never got that much attention in the states, but what can I say, we like our pop stars stupid over here.






Image result for arctic monkeys whatever people say i am that's what i m notThe Arctic Monkeys- Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
I loved the early sound of the Arctic Monkeys; the garage rock, frantic and raw pace combined with Alex Turner's cheeky and witty observations about the Sheffield nightlife. I feel like they've started to go down a sonic pathway that I really don't feel like following them down, but I feel like everything before AM was great. Of course, when they polished off their edges is when America finally noticed them. I preferred them warts and all, with loud guitars and a youthful aggression they've eschewed for slicked back hair and the air of a lounge act.


Image result for beck the informationBeck- The Information
This was the first full Beck album I had ever heard. I remember I was over at a friend's house, and we were watching SNL, and Beck happened to be the musical guest. After hearing performances of 'Nausea' and 'Clap Hands' (which is actually on Guerolito) and seeing his puppet band and dinner percussion, I knew I had to get the album. I like the amount of things that are going on in the songs here, because it creates an interesting density with tons of sound effects and exotic percussion rattling around. I'm waiting for the vinyl reissue since I don't feeling like paying hundreds for the original. I own the 3 disc deluxe with the stickers and stuff, but I'd love to hear this on wax.


Image result for the black paradeMy Chemical Romance- The Black Parade
This is the band at their most theatrical and I remember going to my grandmother's house, turning on TRL and seeing their videos all the time. They were definitely poppy, but it's still kind of weird to me that a band juggling such dark topics and imagery got so popular and so mainstream here. Hot Topic emo (much different from real emo) was a real movement back then, and it was a really strange time to be a teenager. Some kids grew out of their darkness, and some of them grew up to be adults (barely) like me.




Image result for straight outta lynwood"Weird" Al Yankovic- Straight Outta Lynwood
I remember listening to this album a lot with my friends in high school. From 'Confessions Part III', 'Weasel Stomping Day', and the epically long 'Trapped in the Drive Thru' (am I still allowed to like this song after Surviving R. Kelly?) were definitely played constantly. Also, the video for 'White and Nerdy' was pretty popular in the mainstream, and "Weird" Al definitely got a second (or third?) wind after the success of this album.





So, that was 2006. Stay posted for some albums from 2007 that are important to me. Also, I'll be sharing my thoughts on the new Ceschi album, Sad, Fat Luck.



"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

No comments:

Post a Comment