Thursday, March 7, 2019

Albums in My Life: 2001

For the majority of 2001, I was 10 years old. I started 6th grade near the end of the year, and it's also the year a lot of things changed. 9/11 really started our world down the trajectory it's on now, and it's hard to understate its impact. For the current teens who weren't around when it happened, it changed the landscape in an instant.




ANThology AAF.jpgAlien Ant Farm- Anthology
I heard 'Wish' on Tony Hawk: Pro Skater 3, and 'Smooth Criminal' was pretty big back in the day. They're a little goofy now, but they were pretty hard for an adolescent me back then. I need to revisit this album and see how well it holds up. I'll probably be sorely disappointed. I'd probably be a little bummed if I played Tony Hawk again, but that was pretty awesome back in the day.






Converge-JaneDoe.jpgConverge- Jane Doe
I didn't hear this album until only a few years ago, but it really opened me up to the world of metallic hardcore. This album is so chaotic, and there's a lot going on at once. As direct as this album is with its aggression, you really need to sit with it for a while to really dissect all the dense layers of sonic entropy. I can see how this appeals to punks on both sides of the aisle; its super intense and aggressive, but also technical and complicated in its instrumental approach. A lot of current bands can trace back their sound directly to this record.



GorillazAlbum.jpgGorillaz- Gorillaz
I discovered Gorillaz in 2005 with Demon Days, and didn't get this CD until a little later when I decided to backtrack, but my mind was blown all over again. When I was in college, I only had a few CDs in my dorm room, and this was one of them. I would listen to this album a lot while I studied freshman year. I really enjoy the blend of alt rock, hip hop, reggae, and electronic influences, and no matter how bland Gorillaz are in the present, their first few records still have some punch.





SystemofaDownToxicityalbumcover.jpgSystem of a Down- Toxicity
System of a Down is one of the few bands surrounding the whole nu metal thing that haven't aged like milk. I can still enjoy this record,and it has a lot to do with the perfect mix of heavy and light elements. The album has some pretty heavy and chunky riffs, but Serj Tankian and Daron Malakian's vocals, especially when harmonizing with each other, are super melodic, and surpass the vocal chops of any other singer in their genre. If anybody says that nu metal never had any good artists, I'd say System of a Down's Toxicity would be enough to prove them wrong.



Tenacious D album cover.jpgTenacious D- Tenacious D
I picked this up after seeing The Pick of Destiny movie and loved it. Their mix of rock, humor, and filth was perfect, and really made them stand out. While I haven't really kept up with the D (I haven't listened to their last 2 albums), this and the soundtrack to the movie are hilarious. Another record I haven't listened to in ages that I should really dust off and reacquaint myself with.






Check back in for the next Albums in My Life entry for the year 2002.




"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

No comments:

Post a Comment