Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Mini Reviews: July 2016

Been a bit busy, so I haven’t been really ambitious on the blog here, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been listening to the new music, or at least some of it. So, I thought I might share my opinions on some of the albums that came out last month.


Bat for Lashes - The Bride.pngBat for Lashes: The Bride
Natasha Khan has returned to her Bat with Lashes project after her work as the vocalist for Sexwitch with a more subdued, but highly conceptual new effort. The Bride follows the tale of the titular character as she deals with the grief and pain of losing her husband to be on the day of their wedding to a car accident. She goes on the honeymoon alone, and over time, learns how to deal with loss and keep her lover’s memory with her. There are a lot of heavy emotions at play here, and you really need to be in the right head space for it, but I enjoy it. I’ve heard complaints that it’s not as dynamic as previous efforts, but I get an “I’m too cried out and exhausted to even get out of bed” feel from some of these performances, which definitely fits the mood and story in my opinion.


IV (BadBadNotGood album).jpgBadBadNotGood: IV
BadBadNotGood’s fourth full length definitely expands the band’s horizons, adding to their jazz and hip hop sounds with some more electronic elements, more saxophone (including a great appearance from Colin Stetson), and even some chamber music kind of arrangements on tracks like ‘And That, Too.’ with the woodwinds.  I really enjoyed the features on this album, and they didn’t feel at all tacked on, which I can’t always say. They’re all very tastefully utilized, and add to the feeling of the album. An album is pretty impressive when it’s kind of all over the place sonically, but still manages to remain a more or less cohesive whole, and BadBadNotGood manage to do this on IV.



Image result for panopticon revisions of the pastPanopticon: Revisions of the Past
I normally don’t review re-masters, but for Revisions of the Past, I thought I might make a bit of an exception.  Austin Lunn of Panopticon took it upon himself to remix and re-master  some earlier Panopticon albums (On the Subject of Mortality and Social Disservices), as he was not happy with the recording quality (a black metal artist worried about something sounding good? Not kvlt bro.) All joking aside, the albums have a new lease on life. The guitars on sharper, the vocals are more expansive, and the drumming has a little bit more of a thud behind it, and the whole mix has a lot less of a tinny, recorded in a hall closet sound to it, which for black metal elitists may be a problem, but they’re probably not too huge on Panopticon fans anyway, due to Lunn’s incorporation of bluegrass instrumentation on later efforts. These albums are more straight atmospheric black metal than albums like Kentucky or Roads to the North, so fans who are new to these albums, you have been warned.




So, those are a few of the albums I’ve been listening to recently. What albums have you been getting into over the last month? What did you think of these albums? As for me, I just got the download of the new of Montreal album, Innocence Reaches from the vinyl preorder, so I’m hoping to get to reviewing that soon, and we’ll just have to see if the rumblings about Boys Don’t Cry are true. See you later.

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

No comments:

Post a Comment