Sunday, April 3, 2016

Mini Album Reviews: Domo Genesis, Explosions in the Sky & Open Mike Eagle / Paul White

I thought I would share some more opinions on some new albums. These are either records I didn't have a whole lot to comment about but still wanted to speak on, or the window of relevancy to talk about a "recent" album was winding down. So, let's jump right in.





Image result for domo genesis genesisDomo Genesis: Genesis
Domo Genesis, at first, didn't seem like a notable member of the Odd Future collective, but through his great features on other members' albums, or the surprisingly good Under the Influence 2, he changed my mind, so I was anticipating this a little bit. I can't say I loved it. Domo, though he raps well, and provides some decent bars, doesn't rap with a style to suit the super chill beats he selected. He's at his most aggressive and raspy, but over like jazzy, subdued beats. It's a weird combo that kind of throws me off. I feel like if he dropped his self imposed weed rapper image, and started rapping over some rowdier production, I'd enjoy it a lot more.




Image result for explosions in the sky the wildernessExplosions in the Sky: The Wilderness
I remember the first time I was introduced to this band, I was a prospective student at a college tour, staying with an RA and a few other prospective students, and he had to share his favorite band with us. The thing I took away from their sound was the sheer energy and climaxes they would build. They definitely shied away from that on this record, and instead of post rock exaggerated dynamics, they're experimenting in the subtle, softer areas on this record, which is definitely a change of pace. The fuzzed out grooves and rare instrumental climaxes are still where they shine, though.




Image result for open mike eagle paul whiteOpen Mike Eagle + Paul White: Hella Personal Music Festival
This record is fantastic, and I really feel this is what Macklemore wants to be. Open Mike Eagle is able to rap about social issues and personal topics and juggle that with witty and genuinely funny word play (that Lena Dunham GIRLS reference had me kind of weak the first time I heard it), and he's able to do it in a way that doesn't come off as corny or overly serious. It's a perfect blend, and the humor invites you in for him to share his opinions on issues, so whereas other rappers come off as preachy, Open Mike Eagle's rhymes are almost conversational in nature. Also, producer Paul Whit does his thing on here with some extremely varied beat work, covering all emotional and stylistic wave lengths. He does so in a way that provides a comprehensive emotional range for Mike to work with, without coming across as jumbled or lacking a cohesive aesthetic. A must listen for hip-hop fans into the more lyrical side of the genre, and most likely returning in my year end list somewhere.



Check back in later for more of my opinions on new records. Going to be tackling the new John Congleton record, as well as the new album by the Last Shadow Puppets soon.




"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

No comments:

Post a Comment