Sunday, December 6, 2015

Review: Sunn O)))- Kannon

Image result for sunn o))) kannon



Image result for sunn o))) kannon
I've been getting into different kinds of metal quite a bit recently, so I definitely have been exposed to some intensity within the past couple months. So when it came time to listen to arguably one of the most experimental, intensely loud groups currently recording; Sunn O))). This duo has recorded some pretty heavy drone metal, but also borrows from industrial, black metal and other genres. So with a history of ridiculously heavy playing, I was going into this with that in mind.

I was a little let down in that regard. The riffs and drones, though heavy and feedback laden, were slightly repetitive, and not really anything we haven't heard from Sunn O))). The playing is also far from their most intense. At first, near the end of the record, I thought it was getting super heavy; turns out the record had ended and Monoliths and Dimensions, their last full length, and next release in my library, had started. The difference was noticeable.

I kind of thought the length was a problem as well. Just like the new Godspeed, this album is super short (just around 33 minutes and only 3 tracks). With a drone sound, bands really need time to build intensity incrementally, and I feel like when bands like this release short albums, they're cutting down the potential to build tension, and on this release they didn't use the time they gave themselves very well. The drones here are nothing very special, and they don't vary all that much throughout the length of the track. The only song that really worked to build a sinister atmosphere for me was 'Kannon 3', though I did like the riff and the chant on 'Kannon 2', though I thought it could've been built on more.

All in all, I think Sunn O))) delivered a solid album, but not one that really wowed me. I think they've definitely been heavier and more experimental on earlier records, and I feel like they kind of played it safe, and maybe were trying to go back to basics after their polarizing collab with Scott Walker, Soused. I just hope this album was kind of a warm up to get the band back in the swing of things before really digging deep and delivering some more gut wrenching, noisy, and experimental music.

Out of a total of five stars, I give this:


Check back later when I share my thoughts on Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven, the new album by Kid Cudi (if you've heard it, I think you might have an idea of what I'll say, but more on that later).

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

No comments:

Post a Comment