Thursday, December 3, 2015

Record Store Day Black Friday 2015


Image result for vinyl records background

So, if you're into the whole vinyl thing, you were probably aware of the special exclusive releases that were available last Friday. If not, good luck on Ebay or Discogs, because the flippers are going to be gouging. In any case, I thought I might share what I bought this Record Store Day. Who needs life savings anyway, right?

Beck: Dreams 12" single- I was a little disappointed by this one. It was advertised as a "puffy" sleeve. I guess I was expecting a little more than some raised lettering, but whatever. The b side is also kind of lame, with just the a capella and instrumental versions.


Deerhoof: Fever 121614- Deerhoof's first (?) live album. Thought it looked pretty cool, so I thought I'd pick it up. I've liked my fair share of Deerhoof's music, and the inclusion of a digital download for a video of some of the live material is pretty cool.


Eazy-E: Merry Mutha****** XMas- Kind of had to. 


Neil Hefti: Batman Theme Song- Just thought this was kind of a cool little 7" too. Can't say I even knew who wrote or performed the song, but I guess you learn something new every day.


Howlin' Wolf: The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions- An excellent blues album by an extremely talented blues player, featuring most of Blind Faith and the rhythm section of the Rolling Stones. There are some pretty famous musicians acting as sidemen on this thing. It's a new pressing with a gold stamp.


The International Submarine Band: Safe at Home- Gram Parsons before the Byrds or his other ventures. Never heard it, and have yet to place the needle to it, but I'm expecting good things.


Lush: Ciao! Best Of- A compilation of one of the better shoegaze bands of the nineties. I was debating between this and the box set they came out with as well, and this eventually won out. Also, pretty excited to hear word of a tour and a new EP in the works.


MGMT: Time to Pretend EP- I hadn't gotten around to getting this EP on CD, so I thought I might as well get it on glow in the dark vinyl. I knew this EP came out some time before Oracular Spectacular, but I was surprised at how radically different some of the songs on the EP were than the ones on the album. They really reworked them, but I definitely dig the versions here.


Nine Inch Nails: Halo I-IV Box Set- One of the releases I was more excited about this time around. The first four releases by Nine Inch Nails on black vinyl. Nothing special, but a good starting point for my Nine Inch Nails vinyl. I was thinking of grabbing the Downward Spiral, but I think I'll wait and see if they continue to release these Halo box sets.

Outkast: Stankonia- Probably one of the freakier colored vinyl records this Record Store Day. This one was actually a gift for my girlfriend. She's not a record nerd like me, but is a pretty big fan of Outkast, and it'll go well with the copy of Speakerboxxx/The Love Below I got her for her birthday. Now I'm thinking that there'll most likely be an exclusive of that coming out before too long.

Massey Hall

Charlie Parker/Dizzy Gillespie/ Bud Powell/ Max Roach: Jazz at Massey Hall Box Set- Also featuring Charles Mingus, this box set was also one of the things that intrigued most this time around. Got the last copy in my record store, so lucky there. This is a really beautifully assembled set, and I have yet to really dive into it, but I'm really looking forward to having the opportunity to really sink my teeth into this box set.


Otis Redding: Shake 7" EP- Otis Redding is probably my favorite R&B singer of all time, so obviously, had to have it. His cover of Sam Cooke's 'Wonderful World' has always been one of my favorites.


The Sonics: 50- This was my biggest surprise of Record Store Day. I had wanted to grab this box set from the garage rockers and one of the most influential groups for punk, but the layout and book that came with it totally blew me away. Been rocking out to their contributions to the Christmas comp during the past week.


Frank Zappa: Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison- Last but not least, We have the Zappa Family Trust's contribution to Record Store Day. This album got a real face lift; a new album cover and on bright colors for its first vinyl pressing.

So that's pretty much it. Thought of getting some others, but eventually decided against it. Was so close to getting the new Sunn O))) record, but alas. Check back soon for my opinions on some new albums; probably the aforementioned Sunn O))) and the new Adele.


"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

No comments:

Post a Comment