Monday, June 8, 2015

I Saw My Morning Jacket!


Reviews are coming, but I had to share my experience of seeing My Morning Jacket live, because it was pretty awesome. I won't go too much into the opening act, Floating Action, mainly because they didn't particularly interest me (if Mark Kozelek thought the War on Drugs sounded like beer commercial rock, I would've liked to hear his opinion on this band).

All jokes aside, My Morning Jacket started out with a cut off their new album, before going straight into some Z era songs. 'Wordless Chorus' made me tremble, it was so powerful. After another Waterfall cut, they played 'The Way That He Sings' and 'War Begun' and I really liked the jam that they played after it, and it was a nice, mellow kind of mood changer before some more Waterfall songs. The crowd got pumped up again on 'Circuital', and then after some more Waterfall tracks, they closed their normal set with 'Off The Record' and one of my favorites 'Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. 2' which was amazing. They also did this weird thing with a looper pedal at the end where the pattern sped up instead of down like it does on the album, which was great.

The encore consisted of 'Compound Fracture', 'Cobra' (which I was super excited about, but not so many other people there. Apparently not a lot of them had heard Chocolate and Ice, or anything before It Still Moves for that matter), 'Gideon' and 'Mahgeetah'. The last couple songs almost sounded too loud. Not sure if the mixing was off, or if my ears were just giving out by that point.

The band played amazingly. Carl Broemel blew me away with some of his solos and Tommy and Pat found a rhythmic pocket and held it down. Jim's voice was great (not all live vocals are), which is so telling, as it shows that what he sings is how it goes onto the record, with very little in the way of editing. He also had some soloing opportunities that impressed me (I remembering him doing some fret tapping that was particularly awesome).

All in all, I thought it was a great show. Some of the fans in the area where my girlfriend and I were standing were a little insufferable, but obviously not the fault of the band, and not enough to ruin my experience. The concert also had the added benefit of improving my opinion of The Waterfall. In my review, I was a little ambivalent, and commented on the lack of full blown rockers on the album. In a live setting, that is not the case. Some of those tracks rocked ridiculously hard. I can't remember if it was 'Tropics' or 'Spring', but one of those was so much harder in a live setting. Great concert. Great album to tour on. Looking forward to the new album coming next year.

Check back in later, as I comment on Universal Themes, the new Jamie xx, and Surf in some mini reviews.

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

No comments:

Post a Comment