Monday, April 27, 2015

Record Store Day 2015 Recap



So I'm assuming most readers of my blog (if there are in fact any) may have heard of a little thing called Record Store Day, and as such, may be interested in what I picked up. I waited about an hour or so at a store a little outside Pittsburgh, and pretty much got exactly what I was looking for and more. I also teamed up with my dad 5 hours away to double our efforts and chances of victory.

  • K.M.D.- Bl_ck B_st_rds Box: Was not aware of the picture disc 7", so was pretty pumped by that. All the bonus tracks are great, too.
  • D'Angelo- The Charade b/w 1000 Deaths: Pretty standard 7", but Black Messiah was a great record and thought I'd pick it up.
  • Swans- 12" EP: This was one of the ones I was really excited about. Also picked up the Filth repressing and my favorite album of last year (To Be Kind) while I was there as well. The vinyl pressings are great and the re-sequencing on To Be Kind is actually really interesting. Also, the poster inserts in To Be Kind and Filth are awesome.
  • of Montreal- Snare Lustrous Doomings: Was really excited about this release as well, the first live record from of Montreal. They have a hell of a show, as I can hear, and it really excites me to say that I'll be seeing them in Pittsburgh soon. Tour photos are great, and I love the colored vinyl. Also, managed to pick up the Satanic Panic in the Attic Record Store Day pressing from last year, which, surprisingly, was still in the store.
  • Manic Street Preachers- The Holy Bible Picture Disc: One of my favorite discoveries from last year, as I have said in a previous post. I was pretty excited to be able to pick up a special vinyl copy.
  • Jerry Garcia- Compliments: This, admittedly, was an impulse grab, but as many posts have already stated, I am a pretty big Dead fan. I have really only listened to Garcia, his first solo record, so I'm excited to discover more of his solo stuff for the first time. My dad, always the over spender, got the vinyl box set of the March 29th 1990 gig at Nassau Coliseum. 
  • The Decemberists-Picaresque: Big fan, and was really excited about the deluxe reissue. Surprised by the inclusion of some live material as a download.
  • Syd Barrett b/w R.E.M.-Dark Globe: I am a big fan of Syd Barrett's work, and though I have both of his albums on vinyl and CD, I was convinced to pick up this single.
  • Frank Zappa- Theme to '200 Motels': I actually got this for my dad, but he got it as well. A nice purple pressing. Actually more excited about the b side. Saw 200 Motels, and it was (like every Zappa film) the weirdest thing you'll ever watch.
  • Miles Davis- Prestige 10" LP Box Vol.2: I had received the first volume for Christmas, and knew this was a must get. I actually didn't manage to get a hold of it, as there were only a few copies at my record store, and I was pretty far back in line. Luckily, my dad and I were working in tandem. 
  • Otis Redding- Otis Blue: One of my 50 favorite albums gets a deluxe pressing. A disc for both stereo and mono versions, along with a reproduction of a Stax Records 7". An amazing package.
  • The White Stripes- Get Behind Me Satan: A gift for my long time girlfriend. It was one of her favorite albums in high school, and knew this would be a great gift. 
  • Marvin Gaye- How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You): Another gift for her. She's a sucker for old school soul, and Marvin Gaye is one of the best. 
Also picked up Pat Martino's We'll Be Together Again while I was there, and had my dad pick up an LP from his local record store's owner, Armand Schaubroeck, Live at the Holiday Inn. I touched on his work briefly in albums I discovered or rediscovered last year. All in all, probably spent waaaay too much, but it was worth it. Got some great records, supported some local stores, and it was a great experience. Looking forward to the next Record Store Day on Black Friday.



"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

No comments:

Post a Comment