Sunday, January 11, 2015

Review: Death Grips- Fashion Week


Death Grips have once again continued their tradition of unexpected album drops. This one comes as quite a shock given that the band was supposedly broken up. While many are waiting for the second half of their breakup record, the powers that b, the band, minus their vocalist, MC Ride, decided to release an instrumental album instead.

As it stands, this album is far from your traditional Death Grips fair. Obviously, this is due to the lack of scream rap vocals, but the sound is a little more restrained as well. The production is much less aggressive and glitchy, which while still interesting in its own right, may be a little hard to swallow for fans that came to this band for its violently aggressive production. It has its moments that sound Death Grips adjacent, but a lot of this could easily be someone else. I've heard Nine Inch Nails' Ghosts I-IV mentioned when describing this project, and I'd have to agree, though a little less spacey and a lot more focused. This was described as a soundtrack, and it could totally work as one, though I can't really picture anyone walking down the catwalk to this at Paris Fashion Week.

I've given some criticism to Death Grips in the past for being a little one note and predictable, but I have to say I wasn't expecting this. I can't say that I dislike this album, but its sound may be a little mediocre for me. I feel like any electronic producer could have made this, as it doesn't have that Death Grips edge about it. That being said, I am still awaiting jenny death, and if the theories are to be believed, the title of this may be indicative of a release during fashion week. Fingers crossed. Missed MC Ride on this album, and am looking forward to hearing their "final"album (that is, if they're actually broken up), though this album wasn't quite what I was looking for from Death Grips.

Out of a total of five stars, I give this: 



Tons of reviews coming up in the future. I'll be looking at Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper soon. Let me know what you think of Death Grips and their new album, as well as their collective career trajectory.



"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

No comments:

Post a Comment