Friday, October 3, 2014

Review: Tweedy- Sukierae



It took me a little while to form an opinion on this album, and even as it stands, I'm still not 100% sure of what I think. Jeff Tweedy, of Uncle Tupelo and Wilco fame, teamed up with his son Spencer on drums for this album, which is quite varied in tone and song structure, but somehow missing something. I somehow feel like the fact that this is the first release from Jeff Tweedy in a while may have gotten me a little over hyped and may have put too much pressure on this.

As it is, the album, which is a double (though at a little over 70 minutes could fit on one disc), seems a little hit or miss. Though there are some great moments on this album (the hypnotic drum pattern on 'Diamond Light' reminiscent of 'Tomorrow Never Knows', or the Velvet Underground inspired guitar solo on 'World Away') the lyrics never really get that much of a reaction from me, which is a shame. I find myself appreciating a lot of little moments in the middle of the mix, like barely audible keyboards or an interesting drum fill from Spencer. I appreciate the music much more than what is put on top, to say it in another way.

I feel like Jeff Tweedy needs some competition in order to get his creative juices flowing. Whether in Uncle Tupelo or the various Wilco lineups, there was always someone to challenge him and bring out his best, and while Spencer Tweedy's drumming is very interesting, I feel like the lack of others on this album led to Jeff playing it safe when it came to songwriting. I'm just hoping he can come back fresh and deliver a new and amazing Wilco album sometime in the near future.

Out of a total of five stars, I give this:



Next time, I'll be taking a look at three albums for an October special: The Vaselines' V is for Vaselines, MF DOOM and Bishop Nehru's NehruvianDOOM and Childish Gambino's one two punch of the STN MTN mixtape and the Kauai EP.

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

No comments:

Post a Comment