Thursday, October 16, 2014

October Mini Reviews





So I'm back with another installment of my mini reviews with releases from this month. I thought I'd actually try to rate the releases this time, albeit with a little more of an ambiguous scale; the scale being positive, negative or ambivalence (meh). I thought I'd share my opinions on the new Vaselines record, Childish Gambino's mixtape/EP combo, the Bishop Nehru/ MF DOOM collab, the debut EP of Vince Staples, and a colorful re-imagining of Willy Wonka by Primus.


The Vaselines- V is for Vaselines

The Vaselines are a Scottish duo, who in the late 1980s released a few small releases that caught the eyes of a select few, including Kurt Cobain. He went on to champion the group, which had since broken up, and even recorded a few of their originals. This is how I was first exposed to the Vaselines, along with finding a copy of their complete discography up to that point, Enter the Vaselines, in my college radio stations. Their quirky lo fi tunes were very interesting to me (Imagine if She & Him got guitar lessons from Kevin Shields and vocal lessons from Stuart Murdoch). However, since their reunion, I've been a little disenchanted with them. They've taken a little more of direct route here, supposedly inspired by the Ramones, and while their charm is still there in some spots, I liked their more raw and quirky side as opposed to the polish their sound received here. I hope to hear a return to the original sound in future projects, if there are any to be had.

Rating: Ambivalence

Childish Gambino- STN MTN/ Kauai

Following his concept album Because the Internet, Donald Glover aka Childish Gambino delivers a mixtape and an EP simultaneously, the former being his dream of a Gangsta Grillz mixtape, and the latter a PBR&B EP featuring narration by Jayden Smith of all people.The mixtape has some high spots, but the subject matter is a little predictable and some of Gambino's cringe worthy lines sneak their way in (second coming? really?). Then 'Sober' hits, and the EP is just amazing. The production is trippy and hypnotic, and the narration is actually quite interesting, as well as the soliloquy near the outro. Donald Glover's singing has a lot of personality and there are some Weeknd and Frank Ocean vibes coming up at points. Also, that line where they edit out an obvious phallic reference and put in 'love' on 'Pop Thieves' is hilarious. I appreciate how big Childish Gambino is going on his last few projects, and I'm excited to see where he goes next. If he can make a mixtape and EP this layered, I'm very much looking forward to the next LP.

Rating: Ambivalence (mixtape), Positive (EP)

NehruvianDOOM- NehruvianDOOM

I am generally pretty excited every time news of a new DOOM project emerges. I had never heard of Bishop Nehru before, but this project definitely opened up my eyes to this MC, whose word play is pretty spectacular at spots on this LP. The draw backs on this album to me were the relatively dated production (probably consisting of Special Herbs outtakes) and the relative absence of DOOM. I realize he handled the production and he did have a few bars on the album, but putting one of the best spitters of all time in the background for the majority of a project was a mistake in my opinion. And the biggest mistake of this album: the sampling of 'Out of Nowhere'. Never sample Charlie Parker and have it go nowhere, as well is just tack it on to the end of a track. I heard it for the first time in my car and almost wiped out. Please DOOM, don't do that to The Bird.

Rating: Ambivalence

Vince Staples- Hell Can Wait EP

Vince Staples' debut EP is one to remember for sure. I am definitely not a fan of hip hop that glorifies the gangsta lifestyle, and apparently neither does Vince Staples. His portrayal of life in the inner city is a hard an uncompromising one, and points out the hardships and emotional turmoil to be found there as opposed to glorifying it. He continues his winning streak starting with his mixtapes and continuing through his 'Hive' feature and his song stealing appearances on Common's Nobody's Smiling, with his story telling abilities and skill at spitting rhymes. My one complaint lies with the hooks. They were a little weak, and this doesn't fall squarely on Staples, as the featured guest Teyana Taylor also stumbles here. I feel like the hooks just get in the way, and I find myself just waiting for more bars. But all in all, a great project, and I'm looking forward to more from Staples, but hopefully with less hooks.

Rating: Positive

Primus- Primus & the Chocolate Factory with the Fungi Ensemble

This is probably the weirdest thing Primus has ever done, and that's saying something. This album is essentially a song for song remake of the soundtrack to the 1971 Willy Wonka movie, albeit with a ridiculously heightened creepy factor. This is also the first album with the original lineup of Primus since Tales from the Punchbowl almost 20 years ago. If you're a fan of Willy Wonka or Primus, you're either going to really love or really hate it. I feel like this has the potential to be a polarizing listen. I quite enjoy it myself, as I enjoy the really creepy spin that they put on the soundtrack. I feel like there could have been some more instrumental noodling or fills or something, as this is pretty simple as Primus goes. Not to mention that Les Claypool's voice can be a little annoying in spots. But it's good to know that the original lineup is back and recording, so hopefully some new original material might turn up soon. Also, Primus sucks!

Rating: Positive

So those are my opinions on a few releases. What did you think of them? Are there any recent albums you're really excited about? As for me, I'm looking forward to some vintage Ravi Shankar records I just bought until the Flaming Lips Sgt. Peppers cover album comes out.

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

No comments:

Post a Comment