Monday, September 22, 2014

Album Spotlight: Aoxomoxoa (1969 Original Mix)



Before I take a look at SYRO by Aphex Twin and Tweedy's Sukierae, I thought I might share my opinions on a long lost but recently rediscovered gem: the original 1969 mix of the Grateful Dead classic Aoxomoxoa.

So, most Deadheads probably know that the original mix of the record was deemed a little too busy, and that some music got lost in the mix. This led to a remixing of this record and my personal favorite album Anthem of the Sun in 1971, and while the remix for the latter quickly fell out of favor, the remix of Aoxomoxoa became the standard issue, with the original 1969 mix not resurfacing until 2013 for Warner Bros. reissues of the first five records on vinyl. The original 1969 mix has never been released on CD, and is a little rare, but vinyl ripped Youtube streams exist for those without a record player.

So how does the original mix hold up against the 1971 remix? In my opinion, it honestly depends on the song. 'Saint Stephen' is very similar, with the removal of a few sound effects for the remix. 'Dupree's Diamond Blues' has a completely different vocal take between the versions, but I actually prefer the remix. 'Rosemary' is pretty similar between the versions, but there is an a capella section on 'Doin' That Rag' that was removed for the remix. Not really sure why, I kind of enjoy it. I also enjoy the choir on the original 'Mountains of the Moon'. There is also an extended 'China Cat Sunflower', that I quite enjoy on the original, but where the majority of the cuts were made for the 1971 mix were on 'What's Become of the Baby?' Where there was just Garcia's reverb soaked vocals on the 1971 mix, the original had a plethora of sound effects and other effects placed on the vocals. I never liked this song before, and kind of questioned the threadbare song's inclusion on the album, but I guess I was listening to the severely edited version the whole time, because I kind of get this one.  'Cosmic Charlie' was cut at the beginning as well. 

For the most part, the edits just cut little studio banter at the beginning and ends of songs, with some effects removed or lowering or raising instruments in the mix,but it really is interesting to hear the different versions. I highly recommend listening to both versions, and to both versions of Anthem of the Sun, to draw your own conclusions. Feel free to let me know what your favorite mix is and why.

Now off to absorb SYRO's deeper meanings.


"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

No comments:

Post a Comment