Sunday, August 10, 2014

Review: Adult Jazz- Gist Is


Still trying to parse out what I feel about the Electric Wurms project, I thought I could share my opinions on the debut LP by the UK group Adult Jazz. The sound of this band is a little weird. Reverb soaked vocals made up of barely comprehensible half phrases, skeletal song structures infused with synths and horns, and the the oddest drum patterns are a little bit of what you can expect here. I was really mostly impressed with the drum work on this album, along with the ability of everyone else in the band to do their own thing, mostly independent of the drum beat. I thought that was just great.

I think where the album falls a little short with me is with the vocals. A lot of it sounds a little Animal Collective derivative, and I really couldn't warm too much to the lyrical half thoughts, though I found the vocal rhythms and interplay between them and the drums and other instrumental parts pretty interesting.

I feel like I should like this album a lot more than I do, or maybe there's something I haven't quite grasped. I'm sure later on in the year when this finally clicks, it'll be a great album in my eyes, but for now I can really appreciate the powers at work and the individual parts, but the whole just doesn't really resonate with me. This is definitely one to listen too though. I could see opinions on Gist Is being very divided, and you really need to experience it to pick your side.

Out of a total of five stars, I give this:



What were your thoughts on the album? My thoughts on the Electric Wurms debut EP should be on its way in the near future.




"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

No comments:

Post a Comment