Tuesday, April 15, 2014

My Top 5 Most Anticipated Albums for Later in 2014

I'm pretty excited about some releases coming out later in the year, and I thought I might share some of my excitement, so I just put a list together of my top 5 most anticipated albums for this year, or the remainder of it.

Check back later in the week for my opinion on Ian Anderson's Homo Erraticus, as well as the new effort by Future, Honest.


Honorable Mentions

Fleet Foxes (TBA)
I would have felt bad putting this on the list, simply because I have no idea if anything is happening with this record. I only have two Facebook pictures to go on from almost a year ago, but I can hope. If anything concrete comes to light, this would shoot straight to number 1.






Beck (TBA)
Also a bit tentative at this point, but a guy can hope. Beck had stated earlier that he may be releasing two albums this year, one acoustic and one a proper follow up to Modern Guilt. There has also been talk of a recording of Song Reader. Anything Beck releases will be sure to have my ears.




5) Death- Death III (4/22)
The third installment by this '70s Detroit proto-punk band is to be released, and with the stuff I've already heard, as well as their great film, I'm surprised it took so long for this material to see a release. The fact that they could not hold onto a contract because of their name simply continues to baffle me, especially because in the mean time, we've gotten so many bands with much more offensive band names.






4) Lily Allen- Sheezus (5/5)
It's been a while since we've heard from Lily Allen. Following her extended hiatus, Allen is set to release her third full length LP. For me, I hope she can bring back some of that ska sound that was on her debut, but I know the witty sarcasm will be there regardless.








3) Spanish Gold- South of Nowhere (5/27)
I'm pretty excited for the side project of My Morning Jacket drummer, Patrick Hallahan. I hope for some sick jams, and some powerful drums. I'm pretty sure they will be able to deliver on both counts. I hope this album will be something to tide me over until My Morning Jacket gets back in the studio. 




2) Jack White- Lazaretto (6/10)

Following the success of Blunderbuss, Jack White is set to make his return soon. I'm hoping for some blues rock with plenty of weirdness. I doubt I'll be disappointed. I'm also excited for some new face melting Jack White guitar freak outs.





1) Various Artists- The New Basement Tapes (Fall)
My most anticipated album by far. This project is a collaboration between the likes of Elvis Costello, Jim James, Marcus Mumford and others, with the lyrics being provided by Bob Dylan's stay at Big Pink. Bob Dylan is one of my all time favorite lyricists, and the music that came of the original Basement Tapes sessions was amazing, and was powerful enough to launch the Band. Only with Woody Guthrie and Bob Dylan are tons of musicians willing to record the scraps they left on the cutting room floor.













"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

No comments:

Post a Comment